Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Artist Corner: Time Travel

So this first blog is going to be a shameless promotion for a band I've been obsessing over the past couple of months.


Blouse, whose site can be found here http://www.blouseblouse.com/ , is based out of Portland and came out with their first album November 1st of this year (I know... a little behind the times here). Captured Tracks picked them up off Bandcamp, and Captured Tracks, if anyone is familiar, is a magnet for dark synth-pop and lo-fi types. I feel like I'm pretty open about things when it comes to music, and enjoy anything from Loretta Lynn to Yeasayer (I don't exclude instrumentals: I love movie soundtracks. I was so sad when John Barry passed away...), but I consider all my albums from Captured Tracks to be... well, junk. It's junk music I listen to when I'm driving or lazying about. Nothing beats a bit of brainless lo-fi when you're feeling brainless (that or some Brazilian Girls... no, not real ones... Ok, so maybe some real ones would do just as well. Damn. Now I want to drink with some Brazilian Chicks).


For example: Beach Fossils (who by the way seem like a serious gang of hipster douchebags. I try not to think of that when I listen), Craft Spells, Wild Nothing, The Cosmetics.... and if anyone is unfamiliar with these guys, just think of Best Coast (not on Captured Tracks, btw): the most uncreative lyrics backed by re-hashed sounds from the 80s/90s. But it's just fun, and that's the fucking point. But anyway, my main point here is that Blouse stands out above these other groups, and I think they have a bit more sophistication in terms of where they are going. It is their lyrics that brought this to my attention, and the commitment to the dark, moody baselines.

The one song you should give a listen to: Into Black. I could listen to this over and over. I literally have for several nights. I'm pissed that I don't have the lyrics pegged, but just watch this absolutely amazing video (I'm getting off topic again...):

Blouse is having a show at The Echo, a nice little venue in Los Angeles where I once saw Crystal Castles. Things got pretty intimate at that show. Derpderp. (Only a CC fan would get that stupid joke. Or maybe just me). Quick info: starts at 10pm / cost is $10adv; $12 day of show / and there is an age requirement of 18+ They serve alcohol there, that's why the 18+ (I'd get boozed up before going though, because, like everywhere, drinks are $$$

I'll be there January 22nd, having had prior adventures in LA. I plan on doing a whole lot of weird that day to report back here (hotel fun! That's all I can say. It has nothing to do with being sexy. I mean, maybe it does. Who knows). As the date gets closer I'll be putting reminders... But go! And buy Blouse's debut. Go. Now.

Address for the Echoplex so you can buy tickets:
www.attheecho.com/2011/11/14/sunday-01-22-12-blouse-captured-tracks-soft-metals-captured-tracks-violet-tremors-echo/

Sorry for being ghetto about the links. I'll learn code eventually so I can be all"click here" and be proud of myself for being so fancy. And thank you Start Over Queen, for giving me the opportunity to start this blog! CounterGirlExtrordinaire!

1 comment: